It's not the most exciting aspect of launching a digital asset, but let's face it, Google is Oxygen. And while SEO is sometimes enshrouded in a kind of technical mystery, the better the search engines have gotten in weeding out the bad actors, the easier it is to tune your site. Find below a short list of good practices that will get you mostly home.
- Create crawlable, accessible URLs whose content Google can easily parse and index.
- Perform keyword research to uncover words and phrases that users invoke to find answers to the problem you're trying to solve. Pair a primary keyword with a set of secondary, related terms.
- Investigate the Search Engine Results Page to distill what Google believes to be content relevant to your proposed keywords.
- Employ the most credible person available to create content that best responds to search intent on the SERPs.
- Craft a compelling title and description to appear in the snippet.
- Use your primary and secondary search terms in the page text.
- Use rich snippet schema to improve visibility on the SERP.
- Optimize the page for fast loading and security (HTTPS).
- Know who can help to amplify the message, and reach out to those people in a social media campaign.